Erskine Bowles, UNC University System President and Former Chief of Staff for President Clinton, shared five principles for success to the graduates of North Carolina State University:
- Don't promise more than you can deliver.
- Do quality work in everything you approach (i.e. if it is worth doing, do it right).
- Don't be afraid of change (i.e. change happens so figure out how to make it work for you).
- Do your part to add to the "community woodpile" (i.e. have a sense of civic responsibility).
- Take time for your family.
- Never lose your creativity.
- Never lose your excitement.
- Never lose your pure love for music.