Perspective... nice story.. good talk!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Nice speech to the NC State class of 2008 by James E. O. Hankins II.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
“Success doesn’t happen overnight, and it’s not just measured by what you do,” he said. “So many times, it’s not about how many times you fall down, but more about how many times you get back up that is a true measure of who you are."
“Success is about finding that thing you’re good at and can be very passionate about,” he said. “Chase a dream, and enjoy the process along the way.”
-Bill Cowher - CBS Sports analyst, Former Head Coach of the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, and 1979 NC State graduate.
Monday, December 8, 2008
- All Generations have similiar values: They just express them differently!
- Everyone wants Respect: They define it based on the context.
- Trust Matters to everyone!
- People want (expect) leaders who are credible and trustworthy (See Principle #3).
- No matter how old or young, organizational politics is a challenge.
- No one really likes change! (Yes all of us.. some of like making others change though)
- Loyalty depends on the context, not on the generation! "Promote me... then I'll be loyal!"
- If you do the right things... it is as easy to retain young employees as your old ones!
- Everyone wants to learn!
- Almost everyone wants a coach.
Between the ages of 31-35.. early Xers change jobs less often than the early boomers! Between the ages of 20-25, late Xers change job about as often as boomers.. In 2o years we will know more, but the truth is there is far less to be made about the Gen X culture being less loyal or commited to work!