Told us we can use anything from his site. A very open-source kinda guy! I am already a fan!
He began by quoting Drucker and reminded us that it is often what we stop doing that make us a better leader, not what we start doing.
Classic issues that executives struggle with:
- Winning too much - #1 problem of executives! 75% of his clients fail this case study.. whereas they were right on something and showed everyone they know it. Too competitive!
- Adding too much value - when someone gives us an idea.. we always have to suggest how to improve it. We still ideas from our team. ("My suggestions become orders" - CEO of Glaxo-Cline) Before speaking.. breath.. ask yourself is it worth it?
- Telling the world how smart we really are - You don't have to prove your smart.. It is not important for your subordinates to know you know so much.. let them be the smart one
- Passing to much judgment - Help more, pass less judgment.
- "Listening to other people talk about how smart, special, or wonderful they are (or saying it)?"
- "Listening to other people talk about how stupid, inept, or incompetent someone else is (or saying it)?"
He stressed that we have to quit the following things:
- Using destructive comment, about individuals?
- Begin sentences with "No," "but," or "however."
- Begin sentences with "That's great, but (however)...
- How much do you think your direct reports like you?
- How much do your direct reports resemble you?
- What is their contribution to our company and our customers?
- How much positive recognition do you give your direct reports?
- successful people love getting ideas.
- you don't have to think... you can listen and learn.
- no judging is allowed, so it is a very positive experience
- you are not obligated to do the idea.
- reciprocity.. it is two way.. both give ideas and thanks
- you do not have to know them get help or to help them
- you do not have to be superior to help someone
Think about a 95 year old person who is about to die.. what advice would they give you?
- Be happy now!
- Friends and Family are important!
- Have a dream!
- Take the time to help people