Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

Jim Casey on Management

"There was a time when I thought I had to do everything myself. When I found that impossible, I learned that astonishing results could be accomplished if a group of people agreed on what our objectives should be and then set out to reach them....

...I have felt embarrassed at times when publicly given credit for achievements that should have been credited to others. Perhaps such erroneous impressions were due to a misconception of management as practiced by our company. Some people may regard all management as pyramided, mechanical, or autocratic. No such terms should apply to us. Management in our company is the work of many people through objective cooperation.

As it was from the beginning, the prime interest of our management should be helping people help themselves. We know they will respond."

Jim Casey - CEO of UPS, 1962

No comments: